Interactive microbiome research
- PUBLICATION: Our new publication is out, a joint activity with Veronika Schöpf, KFU Graz: Interplay of probiotics and brain signatures.
- PRESS RELEASE: Follow this link here to obtain information in German on the publication.
- PUBLIC OUTREACH: Christine gives a lecture (in German) within the MINIMED lecture series on 24th of May 2018 at 6 pm. Follow this link for more information.
- NOMINATION: Christine was nominated for the "Die Steirerin" Award in category "visionary"!
- WELCOME: Jenni and Sirja from Finland are visiting uswithin the europlanet project.
- Ibrahim is doing his Bachelor-internship in our lab!
- Conference: Christine, Marcus and Christina were joining the VAAM-Congress in Wolfsburg to present their posters (FOTOS) and to get some new input about General and Applied Microbiology.
- EVENT/FOTO: The PubQuiz "The human microbiome: mystical microcosmos", organized by Open Science at Office Pub was great fun!
- PUBLICATION/SCIENTIFIC OUTREACH: Christine contributed a VOICE piece in the new special issue of CELL about her excitement on Archaea. Link.
- TEACHING: Kaisa travelled to Helsinki to give a lecture to demonstrate her teaching skills for the title of docent in microbiology. The title of docent (engl. Adjunct Professor) indicates that the person has extensive knowledge in his or her field, good teaching skills and the ability to conduct independent research.
- WELCOME: Alexander, our new PostDoc and Daniela, our new MasterStudent joined the group!
- Europlanet brings us Nikea, Martina, Daniele and Ilenia to our lab.
- FOTO: Our microbes wish you a happy Valentine's Day! (first foto)
- TEACHING: Christine gave a lecture for children at the Zoom children's museum in Vienna - "Ohne Bakterien geht es nicht"! (see fotos below) Follow this link for the kid's drawings of microbes.
- GOODBYE: The MASE project ended with a snowstorm in Edinburgh. Dear MASE-team members, we will miss you! (see last foto)
- HIKING: We joined the MedUniGraz Schöcklwanderung. -> see more
- AWARD: Wohoo! Alexandra won the LIFE SCIENCE PHD AWARD AUSTRIA for her outstanding PhD thesis. Congratulations!!!
- WELCOME: Master student Diana has joined us!
- Rahela from Romania is here for a week within the europlanet project!
- Timo from Karl-Franzens University is visiting our lab for a few weeks
- EXCURSION: We enjoyed learning more about astronomy on our group trip to the observatory Auersbachtal.
- WELCOME: Our new intern Ines joined our group to support the Arbex project!
- The Arbex-Wipes arrived! We hope for interesting results.
- FOTO: Soo pretty! ISS isolate #1RA on plate
- Conference: Congratulations to Manuela who won the poster prize at the FEMS-congress in Spain!
- The ISS samples have been taken by astronauts today on 28th!
We are looking forward to their delivery.
- PUBLICATION: New publications on Archea & skin are out from MeduniGraz (press release, article) and from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- AWARD: Alexandra got the doctoral thesis award at the University of Regensburg for her dissertation “Grappling extremes: The biology and diversity of space-relevant microorganisms”
- Within the launch of Cygnus Cargoship (Orbital ATK flight OA-7) on April 18th our Arbex- Wipes took off to ISS.
- WELCOME: Ayo from Nigeria joined our group and will stay for half a year! Welcome!
- EVENT: On the 4th of November the 3rd Theodor Escherich symposium has taken place.
It was again a very nice day with many interesting talks.
We are very proud of Kaisa and Manuela who won the best talk prize/ 1st poster prize!
- PROJECT: Kaisa received a Start Funding Program grant from Medical University of Graz for her project ”Microbiome meets plasmidome – connecting pathogenic infection risk, healthy microbes, and environmental biodiveristy in a functional hospital setting”.
- WELCOME: Jorge, an erasmus student from Spain is visiting us for two weeks
- WELCOME: Atsuko, a student from Japan, is visiting us for a week.
- Petra is visiting us for a week.
- Kaisa received research funding from Stadt Graz for her project ”Mikrobielle Übertragsungswege in Intensivstationen” (Microbial transfer at intensive care units).
- Half of our group is going to attend ISME (16th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology) in Montreal. We are looking forward for new inputs!
- Alex won the 1st prize for her talk at summer academy! Congratulations!
- Johannes is here for an internship for 4 weeks.
- Cameras in our lab! Another movie is on the way.
- PUBLICATION: Our new paper is out: Venturing into new realms? Microorganisms in space. (in FEMS Microbiol. Rev.)
- WELCOME: Michael and Martin from Aarhus, Denmark were here for two weeks within the europlanet project. We hope you got some interesting results! Thank you both!
- Europlanet brings very interesting projects and people to us! We could share our lab with Karen from UK and Barbara from Italy for a few days. Nice to meet you!
- WELCOME: The europlanet project brought Stefan to our group for a week.
Thank you for your visit!
- AWARD: Congratulations to Michi Mauermeir who won the 2rd place of the ISC - (International Student Congress) science flash!
- PROJECT: Kaisa travelled to Italy to collect samples from a clean room.
- EVENT/FOTO: Our Lange Nacht der Forschung - exposition "Mikrobenalarm - Eine schrecklich nette Familie!"
on 22nd of april was a huge success!
More than 900 visitors got to learn more about microbes.
- Look at the fotos of the evening!
- Find more handprints of our visitors here!
- WELCOME: Our new intern Mara has joined our group!
- WELCOME: Stefanie has joined our team!
- Our "Astrobiology and Space Medicine workshop" was a blast! Check it out here
- Another visit from an ORF team in our laboratory!
- Congratulations to Alexandra Perras, who won the 3rd poster price at the Theodor Escherich symposium!
- Please check-out our newest press-release on the microbiome activities in Graz!
- WELCOME: Our team has a new member: Welcome Manuela!
- PRESS-RELEASE: Please check-out our newest press-release on the healthy microbiome of plants!
- AWARD: Congratulations to Max Mora for the Space Factor Contest Award, received at the EANA 2015 meeting in Noordwijk!
- WELCOME: International researchers: our facilities are now open for you! Come and visit our Center For Life Detection. Our new project was kicked-off in September: Europlanet.
- Our team has a new member: Welcome Michi Mauermeir, Erasmus student from Regensburg!
- TV Spot: Microbiome research on ORF2
- Nächster Halt: Mars! Please check out the update on our space activities here.
- Join us to our trip to Mars: The Mars mission simulation activity AMADEE-15 is the environment for our Glacier-MASE project.
- Michael Beck won the 3rd place of the ISC - (International Student Congress) poster prize! Congratulations!
- Our new PostDoc has joined our group: Welcome Kaisa!!!