The Cell Biology, Histology and Embryology is looking for a
Tenure Track Professor “Targeting Cancer Metabolism”
Identification number: LS-HISTO-2021-001440
Application time: 02/10/2022
We are looking for an excellent researcher with a high potential for developing an internationally recognized research agenda in the field of cancer metabolism. The candidate’s research focus should complement and expand the existing research field at the Gottfried Schatz Research Center (GSRC) by combining the topics cancer and metabolism. The main aim is to develop and apply in vitro, in vivo and ex vivo models for basic research and potentially translate them into therapeutic strategies that target cancer metabolism. The candidate is expected to establish a research team that investigates nutrient response in cancer metabolism and therapy. Multidisciplinary intra- and extramural cooperation within Med Uni Graz and internationally is expected. Integral to this tenure track professorship is the teaching of cell biology, histology and embryology for medical students as well as the supervision of PhD students. The initial appointment is limited to six years. After the conclusion of a qualification agreement, the career advancement goal is to transfer to a tenured position as an associate professor (tenure track professor pursuant to § 99 para. 5 and 6 of the Universities Act). If the candidate demonstrates outstanding and remarkable achievements, the qualification agreement may be fulfilled more quickly.
Core duties and responsibilities:
- Conducting cutting-edge basic research in the field of cancer metabolism
- Acquiring competitive third-party funding and taking the lead in such research projects
- Establishing and leading a research group on cancer metabolism
- Teaching undergraduate medical students, teaching and supervising MSc and PhD students, and mentoring and promoting young researchers
- Establishing and maintaining networks through local, national and international research collaborations
- Writing and publishing high-quality scientific papers
- Giving lectures and seminars, attending conferences, hosting visitors and organizing conferences in the field
- Supporting scientific and public outreach in the individual research area (public lectures, media, etc.)
Successful candidates must have the following qualifications:
- MD, PhD or equivalent doctoral degree in cell biology, molecular biology or a related discipline
- Extensive research expertise in multidisciplinary research in the field of cancer metabolism research
- Solid experience in molecular biology, including methods to analyze metabolism, experience with primary cell cultures and/or animal models
- Proven track record of peer-reviewed publications and third-party funding acquisition
- At least one year of a postdoctoral research fellowship abroad or at a different institution than where the PhD was completed
- Previous experience in teaching, (co)supervising doctoral students and/or master's students and/or training of postdoctoral fellows (depending on the applicant’s career stage)
- High level of proficiency in both written and spoken German and English
The ideal candidate has the following profile:
- A background in teaching cell biology, histology and embryology
- Willingness to cooperate with clinical partners in translational projects
- Open-mindedness and ability to work in a team
- Systematic and analytical working methods, excellent organizational skills
- Communication and social skills
- Outstanding level of motivation
Entry date: 01 May 2022
limited to 6 years
Level of employment: 100%
Classification in employment group A2 according to the collective agreement for university employees.
Application: The Medical University of Graz invites all applicants to submit their application online by 10 February 2022.
Statutory information: The minimum remuneration is based on the collective agreement for university employees (KV § 49.2). A higher salary for this position is contingent upon qualifications and may be negotiated with the rector.
Scheduled date for job interviews: 07 April 2022 at the Medical University of Graz
The Medical University of Graz is committed to increasing the proportion of women in leading positions at universities in Austria and encourages qualified women to apply. Among applicants with equal qualifications, female applicants will be given priority. We also welcome applications from qualified individuals with disabilities and encourage them to apply.
The Medical University of Graz is committed to increase the proportion of women in leading positions and encourages qualified women to apply. Among applicants with equal qualifications, female applicants will be given priority. We also welcome applications from qualified individuals with disabilities and encourage them to apply. back